Bochum cogeneration plant
The plant dating back to 1905 was taken over in 1961 by the then VEW AG and extensively modernized. The last coal boilers were shut down in 1996. Today, the plant works mainly according to the energy-saving cogeneration principle. The plant supplies major customers with some 450 million kWh of district heating from natural gas annually; in addition, up to 100 million kWh of electricity are generated.
In 2003/2004, the plant was extended to include a turbine, and the complete control technology was renewed. The Bochum cogeneration plant is operated and monitored from the central control room at the Dortmund location.