Closed power stations
Didcot A Power Station was a dual-fired power station, which began commercial operation in 1970 and closed in March 2013.
Didcot A could generate 2,000MW of electricity - enough power to meet the needs of some two million households. It was originally designed as a coal-fired station, although three of the four 500MW generating units were later converted to dual-firing, enabling the station to use natural gas as an alternative to coal.
Didcot A operated as an opted out station under the Large Combustion Plant Directive (LCPD). This meant that Didcot A could operate for up to 20,000 hours between 1 January 2008 and 31 December 2015. The 20,000 hours were used up by March 2013, and the station closed after 43 years of powering the nation.
Since closure part of this large site has been sold for redevelopment.
Littlebrook was an oil-fired power station. The station was built in the 1980’s and is located in Kent on south bank of the River Thames next to the Queen Elizabeth 2 Bridge and the Dartford Tunnel. Littlebrook had an installed generating capacity of 1245MW - enough to meet the needs of over one million households.
The original Littlebrook Power Station first started generating electricity in 1939. The current station is the fourth to be built on the site, and began commercial operation in 1981.
Littlebrook Power Station had three turbine generating units. In addition, the station had three sets of gas-turbine units capable of providing additional support to the National Grid system when required.
Littlebrook was an ‘opted-out’ station under the Large Combustion Plant Directive (LCPD) and closed in March 2015 after 75 years of generation at the site. The station is now fully decommissioned and RWE is evaluating options for the former power station land.