- AVU, ELE and rhenag strengthen the partnership for energy production from renewables
- Investments of about 1 billion euros planned until 2020
- Repowering project of Süderdeich wind farm on stream
Green GECCO GmbH & Co. KG, the joint venture company for renewable energies, has been able to attract three additional partners.
Since the end of July, AVU as energy utility for the Ennepe-Ruhr district, Emscher Lippe Energie GmbH (ELE) and Rheinische Energie AG (rhenag) have been strengthening the alliance of now 29 municipal utilities and RWE Innogy.
The green partnership aims to jointly identify, develop and realise new projects in the market for renewable energies all over Europe.
“AVU has already been playing an active part in the field of renewable energies for years. Our participation in Green GECCO is an optimum supplement to this commitment. This is because the renewable energies are a local and global issue", explained Dr. Claus Bongers, Technical Executive Board member of AVU.
"We have been supporting the creation and development of generation capacities based on renewables for years", ELE Managing Director Kurt Rommel explained the background of why his company joined the partnership. "In 2010, we built two wind power systems with a capacity of 4.6 megawatts together with ELE Scholven Wind GmbH on the Oberscholven spoil heap at Gelsenkirchen and erected the largest photovoltaic plant in Gelsenkirchen on the roof of the Gelsendienste depot together with the municipal subsidiary GEW. However, space is limited in the heart of the Ruhr area. This is why it makes sense to also opt for supraregional projects. Green GECCO is an optimum platform for this.“
"For rhenag, Green GECCO opens the door to supraregional energy generation from renewables", said rhenag Executive Board member Ulrich Henkel. "Without such supraregional projects, an appreciable and sustainable shift of the energy mix towards renewables will not be successful. rhenag has therefore embarked on a two-track renewables strategy, i.e. individual regional projects in combination with large-scale supraregional projects. An important step has been taken with Green GECCO."
"The fact that more partners have joined shows that the idea behind Green GECCO works. Especially now when Germany must rise to the challenge of turning its energy supply around, it is good to have three additional strong partners by our side", emphasized Dr. Norbert Ohlms, member of the Managing Board of Green GECCO and representative of the municipal utility partners.
Onshore wind farm Süderdeich
It is intended to jointly invest in the development of energy production from renewables and to tackle projects nationally and internationally, which would not be feasible for any of the municipal partners on their own. Altogether, Green GECCO plans to invest approx. 1 billion euros in the electricity and heat production from renewable energies by 2020. The cooperation covers German and European projects in the fields of wind power, biomass, geothermal energy, biogas, water and solar thermal energy.
Last year, Green GECCO launched its first project by taking over the Scottish onshore wind farm "An-Suidhe“ which was commissioned with an installed capacity of some 20 megawatts at the end of 2010. The second project followed at the beginning of this year, when the Süderdeich wind farm was taken over. This wind farm is a so-called repowering project where old systems were replaced by new powerful installations. All four new Enercon turbines of the 2.3 megawatt class have been on stream since the beginning of August to generate approx. 20 million kilowatt-hours of climate-friendly electricity per year. The commissioning coincided with the formal change in ownership and the complete transfer of the wind farm with an installed capacity of some 9 megawatts to the Green GECCO joint venture company.
Joint venture company for energy production from renewables
In April 2010, RWE Innogy and 26 municipal utilities joined forces under the umbrella of the Green GECCO joint venture company to jointly develop and realise projects for energy production from renewables. Now that three new partners have joined, the separate holding company comprises 29 municipal and regional energy utilities. The holding company owns 49 % of the Green GECCO joint venture with the remaining 51 % of the shares being held by RWE Innogy, the company for renewable energies in the RWE Group.