Frimmersdorf power plant
Construction of the Frimmersdorf power plant started in 1953 in Grevenbroich. Between 1955 and 1970, two 100-, twelve 150- and two 300-MW power-plant units were completed at short intervals.
New systems to reduce pollutants
Based on Germany’s Large Combustion Plant Ordinance (GFAVO), all 150- and 300-MW units were given wet flue-gas desulphurization systems in 1988 to reduce sulphur dioxide and, by 1990, modified burner zones to lower nitrogen-oxide emissions. On account of their age, the two 100-MW units were decommissioned on 30 June 1988.
The operation thus has 14 systems with a total electric output (gross) of 1,665 MW.