What measures must be taken when converting existing facilities from natural gas to hydrogen in order to ensure safe operation?
From a materials technology perspective, this includes the following questions:
- Influence of compressed hydrogen on the rate of crack propagation
- Influence of compressed hydrogen on fracture resistance
- Characteristics of welded seams
- Influence of gases containing hydrogen on the properties of metallic materials
The goal is to investigate and assess the H2 readiness of existing facilities with regard to the materials used, identify gaps in knowledge and close them by conducting in situ and laboratory trials to ensure H2 readiness.
Condition assessment of the existing system:
- Gap analysis
- Prioritisation of gaps in knowledge
- Defining the roadmap to H2 readiness
- Statements on material performance under real operating conditions and recommendations for the selection of appropriate materials for H2 readiness